Tuesday 15 March 2011

First PBP Qualifier

Sunday March 7 and the morning of my first qualifier, Mad March Coast and Quantocks. Got to Exeter at about 7.30 in time for a cup of coffee and then on the road promptly at 8am. There seemed to be a good turnout of about 60 and it was a nice day, if a little on the cold side.

The first stretch to the info at Budleigh Salterton was a delight, accross Woodbury Common and a nice descent down to the sea. The last time I went to Budleigh Salterton I was 3 years old. Then it was a relatively lumpy ride to Tiverton and the Canal Tea Rooms where I stopped for a coffee. I didn't seem to be too far behind others and there were plenty still there when I left.

Pressing on, the route followed the River Exe up towards Dulverton. This was beautiful, generally flat with the river on the left. Then a steady climb to Wheddon Cross followed by a great downhill and a scenic route through lovely Dunster to Blue Anchor on the coast, and the control at the steam railway station. Fantastic bit of the ride this leg, I really enjoyed it.

The next stage was hilly and a climb up onto the Quantocks. Beautiful countryside but a long grind up to the top, then a steep down, then hilly all the way to the final control at 170km. Just made it here in the dusk so didn't need to stop specially to put my lights on.

The final stage was gently down with a atilwind, although the road surface was apalling and felt like I had a p******e but arrived back in 11 hours 58 minutes.

Longest ride I'd done since September, and not too bad. Generally quite pleased. Good to get the first one out of the way, and to know that it was possible despite not doing as many miles as I would have liked over the winter due to the weather, being away and illness.

No comments:

Post a Comment