Sunday 10 April 2011

Denmead 300

An early start, the alarm went off at 4am. Had toyed with the idea of stopping en route for breakfast but so far my porridge strategy has not let me down too badly. Didn't feel too tired as I was buzzed up with fear fuelled adrenalin as this distance was unknown territory, my furthest previous ride having been 223km.

There were about 25 or 30 at the start and lovely weather beckoned. Left my winter coat in the car for the first time this year.

Quick coffee at The Nest. Some of the faces looked familiar from the 200. Started out at 7am, along the same route as the 200 to Bishops Waltham. Then there was a turn to the south across the New Forest to the first control somewhere north east of Southampton, and then past Beaulieu which looked beautiful in the sun, and past Bucklers Hard to the second control at the Needles Cafe in Milford on Sea. Lovely views across the Solent to, surprisingly, the Needles and around to Old Harry Rocks on Purbeck.

From here, westwards to Wimborne, again on lovely roads with stunning scenery. It was all seeming quite straighforward and I was wondering when it was going to go pear shaped. Wise words on this section from Dave Pilbeam who said it was all about pacing, but I felt good and went on up the road, hoping to goodness he wouldn't overtake me later in the day, me having blown up, him thinking I told you so. From Wimborne a beautiful ride up to Blandford to The Gorge cafe where I made the mistake of having a burger. Not a good idea, it struggled for independence for the next couple of hours. Pleased I said no the onions.

From Blandford to Salisbury was hard work. This was just over the half way mark which I have found is always the place where I find it difficult. Eventually the Cathedral spire appeared although it took a long time to get to the control. Ate well and drank plenty of water and lucozade. By some miracle I seemed to be fairly near the front, not an experience with which I am familiar.

After Salisbury there was a massive hill before the next control. Perhaps it wasn't that massive but it seemed it at the time and the granny ring was well and truly in use with the big sprocket. The two guys I'd been seeing for the last hour or two left me for dead at the bottom - I subsequently discovered one was riding fixed, a lovely Bob Jackson with fantastic lug detailing that I noticed at the next control at Ower services near Romsey, where MacDonalds provided the requisite carbs in a large portion of fries, washed down with coffee. Possibly the best looking bike I've ever seen, a true work of art. It was now colder again so time to wrap up for the final 50km to the finish.

In the dark it always seems slower but managed to maintain some sort of rythmn. Some idiot did a U-turn on the main road and drove straight in front of me. Perhaps he didn't see either of my front lights, or my headtorch which I aimed straight at him so he would see me. Or my reflective jacket as his lights shone straight at me half way through his manouevre. Slammed on the brakes and had a rear wheel skid, and taught him a few new words.

Chucking out time at the pubs in Bishops Waltham and Wickham provided the usual comedians asking if they could borrow my bike or have a backie. Then again maybe they were justified in wondering what the hell someone was doing writing down the name of a petrol station on a little card with a stubby little pencil at 10.30 on a Saturday night.

The last 5km always take an age and by the time I made the last turn by the Chairmakers I was ready for a sit down on anything other than a saddle. Got back at 11.15pm and had a fight with my bike becuase I was too knackered to unclip both feet when trying to reach back into my jersey pocket for my cashpoint card.

Overall a top ride which went well. Had about 2.5 hours for stops and controls so my average speed was the highest yet.

Had switched from 28s to 25s but don't think they can have made that much difference.

This was a great ride with a pretty route and not too hilly. A very enjoyable day out and satisfying to get the first 300 under my belt.

Am now half way to Paris in terms of qualifying rides done, or a third of the way there if you count total distance.

No comments:

Post a Comment