Sunday 17 April 2011

Valley of the Rocks 200 16 April 2011

The start was the same as any other audax - plenty of carbon bikes and racing snakes, and a few long distance cyclists too. I'm not the former and aspire to being the latter.

After about 1km I realised my computer was not playing the game. I had tried to recalibrate it as I've switched to narrower tyres but by the time the first route sheet direction came around at 3km I'd already done 4.8km. This was fine because at this rate this would be my 400 for PBP. However I soon lost my sense of humour about it and it was a pain in the arse and niggled away, especially on the longer sections later on when the 25km from Combe Martin became 30 odd. Still it's good for the mental attitude I suppose.

The first section was great and a nice tea room in Dulverton with heavenly chocolate brownie. I was riding with Gareth from Merseyside who was  on a nice Bob Jackson and his first audax. The next section took us over the roof of Exmoor, stunning views in all directions and a real pleasure to be out in the middle of nowhere, just hearing the tyres on the road. Hardly any traffic apart from the horse boxes and landrovers after Simonsbath - the staghounds were out I think.

Walked up Lynton hill, but I don't think I was alone. The descent to Mother Meldrums was amazing - suddenly this view of the most amazing rock formations in front, with the sea beyond. Really beautiful. I think this was the section on the TV recently when Clare Balding did her Britain by Bike series. Very nice yoghurt coated flapjack, a real bargain at £3 ?!?, but nice.

The next section was one of those wonderful experiences when you discover somewhere truly idyllic. The road hugged the coast, with beaches below a blue sea under blue skies. Fantastic, this is what it's all about. Glimpsing back was a fantastic yellow building, an abbey I think, and the route up through the trees was reminiscent of the Pyrenees. Lost touch with my companion here and heard later he'd had bad cramp attacks. Hope he made it home. Out on the top and the views opened up again, before a descent to the Hunters Inn, where an endurance running event had been taking part. They then made the runners walk up a 25% to their cars at the end. It's not just audaxers who like suffering after all. Nearly mowed a couple down as they were walking six abreast, and almost dented a shiny BMW who stopped to talk to a mate. He didn't realise you cannot just stop when clipped in without going over the front (at least I can't) on a hill that steep. He looked a bit surprised when I shouted 'don't just effing stop in the middle of the road' - the fist time he looked in his mirror all the way down was when he heard me. There then followed what seemed like a 10 mile climb but the gradient was not too bad. Head down and tap away.

Arrived at the Combe Martin control and looked at the brevet card to see I was only 4 minutes inside time. Whoops. However, what little I did know about the route made the next section sound a bit easier so thought I could make up some time. However I didn't know about the long climb out of the town, which meant I was probably technically behind time, but managed to make it up when it flattened out. After South Molton it seemed to be up and down, short hills which I don't really like, so I couldn't get into a rythmn and found it very challenging. Arrived at Crediton control having made up half an hour or so which was good news and ate plenty.

The last stage was not too bad but the hills before had taken it out of me and I was relieved to arrive at Awlscombe at about 8.30 with an hour to spare. As rehydration is vital for athletes, had a pint, which hardly touched the sides.

A great route, but hilly. Had I read the reports I would have known this so no complaints, but it was the hardest ride to date, partly because of my dodgy computer messing with my mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment