Saturday 16 July 2011

Devon hills and Somerset rain

Plans change and my trip to the Alps has been cancelled due to the impending arrival of a baby, which is sooner than we thought for various reasons. Thus the Raid Alpine, which was meant to be my last major fitness effort, is no longer. So I knocked out a DIY 300 which took me west into Devon over hilly ground to Honiton, then followed the Valley of the Roacks route up to Lynmouth. This is a beautiful ride and the route cannot be bettered so I had no compulsion copying it.

At Lynmouth I turned right up a staggeringly steep hill which then took me all the way to Bridgwater along the A39. Not a fun road, won't ride it again. Especially as it had started raining and was getting chilly.

A quick nip up to Weston super Mare to get the distance up was followed by a flattish run home to finish at 12.15am in the cold and wet.

320km in total but nowhere to control at the finish so this one will go unvalidated.

Subsequently went down with a cold following the miserable weather on this ride.

No comments:

Post a Comment