Monday 20 June 2011

Keep the legs turning

Now that qualification is complete the last week has been spent constantly checking the Audax UK website to see if my brevet numbers have come up yet. These are needed to complete the PBP registration so that the Audax Club Parisien can verify that I have actually done the qualifiers.

These have finally come through and so my place is bought and paid for. The panic that has kept me occupied since about September, that all places would be sold out and I wouldn't get a place, never had any basis in fact. As it happens there are about 70 places left to GB participants and the process has been open to the general public for over a week.

With two months to go I must keep my motivation up and not think that just because I've qualified the job is done. More work needs to be done to avoid the process of 'reversibility', otherwise known as getting fat and unfit.

Yesterday I did a DIY 200km from home, which although it was pretty flat, had some long gentle climbs to keep the pressure on. It was my fastest ride ever over this distance. Next weekend there is a 200km from Winchester, and coming up at the end of July is the Raid Alpine from Lake Geneva to the Med; this has always been my planned final intensive phase before PBP after which I will taper and concentrate on shorter distances of up to 50km but ride them as fast as possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment