Saturday 9 October 2010

11 months and counting

Paris Brest Paris (PBP) is a 1200 kilometre cycle ride held every four years. It is the most prestigious 'randonee' in the calendar and has been going since 1891. There is a 90 hour time limit, including stops, 'controls' every 80 kilometers or so where the 'brevet' or 'carnet de route' needs stamping as proof of passage.

In order to gain one of the 5000 places available worldwide it is necessary to complete a 'Super Randonneur' (SR) series of events in the spring leading up to the event - that is, a 200km, 300km, 400km and a 600km event.

In 2011 PBP will take place from 21 - 25 August. This is my blog of my journey to Brest and back - hopefully.

In the meantime I need to lose weight, drink less, smoke less and eat more healthily. I turn 40 next year which is further motivation. I'll update my progress regularly here, no doubt with tales of spectacularly falling off the wagon as well as reports of some great cycling. We're coming into autumn and winter here so the first objective is to cycle to work more often and generally use the car less. Tonight is my last night of freedom before the new regime begins so I'm going to have a glass of wine now...

No comments:

Post a Comment