Thursday 21 October 2010

Cold toes

My training schedule was put back a week because, erm...., because it's horrible coming back from holiday so I decided to have a few glasses of wine last week to numb the pain of going back to work.

Finally yesterday I didn't need the car for work so cycled in. 14 miles. It was fairly fresh and the sun hadn't got over the hedge tops. It was the first time out for a while for my touring bike, an Orbit Ventura, and it certainly seemed a lot heavier than the carbon road bike. However it's undoubtedly more comfortable.

I need to sort out my luggage arrangements because a rucksack just isn't comfortable. It makes the back too hot, and I'm one of those who warms up quickly in any case. I've got a rack bag but it's a bit of a pain as it needs to be velcroed under the rack, which is fine if you've got ten minutes at the other end to take it off but otherwise is a fiddle.

On the way home the bike felt a bit better. I guess I have to remember that it's about miles, not speed, on this bike. Made it up the local cliff, which goes on for about a mile with the last 200 yards particularly steep, but you've got to keep pedalling otherwise you'd fall over - which as we all know isn't very funny if you're clipped in (unless you're an onlooker of course).

28.5 miles today. The aim is to get a lot of base miles in during October and November by cycling to work as often as possible. Three days a week would be good - 100 miles in the bank - then a long run over the weekend, so 150 to 200 miles a week to get in some fitness. Maybe a few Permanents or calendar events, but these will start in earnest early in the new year, so that hopefully I'll be ready come the PBP qualifiers.

No comments:

Post a Comment